Sunday, December 1, 2013

A visit from Baldwin


Baldwin gazed out the window arms crossed behind his back. Watching the people outside go about their normal business he considered the information he had stumbled across, how would it affect these people, should it be kept from them? Pondering these thoughts he barely heard the door open. A man walked in wearing an old, battered raincoat and took a seat. "So what should I expect from a call from one of the most famous historians of all time?" Baldwin turned around a smile crossing his weathered face, he was going on seventy but his face didn't show this. "Good to meet you professor Bernd" the man looked slightly surprised at being called professor, "Don't really have anywhere else to be really." "Really? I thought you would be very busy considering all of the research you have been doing." Again the man looked uncomfortable, "No one will fund my research, they say it is too impractical." Baldwin nodded understandingly, "I see, well that's convenient." "It is?" "Yes" walking over to that table Bernd was sitting at he pulled up a chair opposite of him and sat down, "yes, very convenient. You see I called you here to see if you would be interested in coming to my mansion and working with me. I have a top notch laboratory and can pay your house and board." The mans eyes widened slightly as he took in this statement, "excuse me sir, but I had no idea you were interested in this branch of learning. I thought you were a historian." Again Baldwin smiled, "I am many things, I do not see why since I am a historian I can only be a historian." The man looked Baldwin in the eyes trying to interpret wether or not he was serious, "If you mean it I will gladly work for you" Baldwin nodded, "This may seem a odd request but I wish it to remain a secret that you are in my employ. So the move will be made silently with only my personal employees to help." The mans face fell slightly, if it was known he was being funded by Baldwin then his work would gain a large amount of credibility in the science world. Swallowing his curiosity he nodded, "when am I moving?" "Immediately" the man was starting to become bemused, "it will take about a week to move all of my papers from their safe houses" Baldwin shook his head "I already have it all moved." "Excuse me?!" Bernd stood up quickly eyeing the man with open hostility. "You have already moved my research? How did you know I would come?! What if I said no?" Baldwin waited quietly for the mans fury to abate before responding, "I knew you would come because I have discovered conclusive evidence that you theories are correct." The man sat down heavily, "what kind of evidence?" "Baldwin stood up and began walking towards the door, "that we will discuss upon great length at my estate where we can talk safely" walking to the door he opened it and took a step out, stopping he turned around and looked professor Bernd, "you are a remarkable man, you discovered what no other man would dream of looking for." And with those words he left the room shutting the door behind him. Bernd sat frozen in his chair, he had been right! Teleportation between worlds and dimensions was possible. Standing up he jumped and clicked his heels.

1 comment: