Dear reader, I have chosen this tale to share with you because it is importante to understand that even though the world I was shown is marvelous and beautiful it has its dangers as well. Following is the record of my first sighting of Hagrety and a few other misadventures when I first walked into the forest at night.
-Hagrety-
"Won't you come along and play with me?
We'll draw and sing together,
And if you leave I'll steal your spleen
So stay and play with me."
Addison eyed Mr Moletroll over his cards, surprisingly the old mole had proven himself a worthy opponent thrashing him soundly several times. Looking down at his cards he considered his options, they were playing Caution, a card game wich a random pre assigned number was pit down for the highest value and the player to go over that value loses. Deciding on his move he withdrew a card from his deck and placed it on top of the pile. Mr Moletroll peered over the rims of his glasses, "I see you believe me stumped, my young friend." When he said those words Addison already knew he had lost, "however you are quite mistaken." With his customary smile he played three cards raising the value to exactly fifty. "Good game, you are getting better." Addison smiled sourly, "losing the four times in a row at four different games is getting better?" "Yes" Addison stood up and cleared away the cards, "want to have a cup of tea before I head home?" Putting the cards into a neat pile Addison put a rubber band around them to keep them from slipping and turned around to face Mr Moletroll. The before mentioned mole was looking out his door and counting quietly under his breath, Addison opened his mouth to comment but was prevented from doing so by Moletroll, "Not tonight it's getting dark and its importante you get home before then." Having learned to heed his dear moles wishes he started putting his belongings into his bag, "So, why should I get home before dark?" Mr Moletroll had scurried over to one of his cabinets and was pulling out an old candle, "because ther has been some disturbing rumors of late, it seems that a particularly vicious tree giant is in the area as well as some more disturbing things." At the word giant Addison had stopped packing and turned his ful attention in Mr Moletroll. "Giant? Here?! Cool!" Reaching into his bag he drew a camera from the jumbled contents and checked its memory, plenty. "No it is not cool" Moletroll said looking stern, "they are no joking matter, Beatrix learned to respect and fear them and you would do well to do the same." "But I'm not Beatrix am I" shaking is head Mr Moltroll lit a candle and walked to the door. "Well it's serious enough that I am personally escorting you to the woods edge." Addison nodded, "Still I am going to see if I can get a decent photo." Shaking his head once more Mr Moletroll opened the door and stuck his nose out, sniffing cautiously he led the way outside into the growing dark. Turning down the dirt alley he shuffled slowly in the direction of Addison's house. Addison was the exact opposite of his cautious companion, his head swung eagerly one way and then another keeping an eye out for anything worth photographing. "What kind of things come out at night?" He asked eyeing a tree shaped like a broccoli sprout. "Hungry, dangerous things." Addison was slowly wanting to explore more and more, looking around he realized that the world he knew completely transformed at night. After several minutes of walking Addison began to hear strange noises from the surrounding murk, and could have sworn he heard a violen and merry laughing. Where these noises interested Addison they seemed to cause much worry to Mr Moletroll, "hurry" pushing forward they emerged from the woods a into the open a little way from Addison's house. Giving him a shove with his snout Mr Moltroll. Turned around and hurried into the woods. Walking slowly up his driveway Addison looked over his shoulder and saw a brief flash of white in the woods. But as quickly as it came it dissapeared. Shrugging his shoulders he walked into the house and shut the door with a Loud click, shutting out the night.
No comments:
Post a Comment