Meanwhile---------
Knight stood upon the small rise overlooking the house he had just broken into, weakly dropping to sit against a tree. Kaj, free-spirited as always, just sort of floated around.
He had come so far to get to this point, how could he falter now? He had never been a killer, but he had killed before. Many times. Most of the time in defense, but never in cold blood. Could he really condemn a man who has yet to commit his crime? Time had been cruel to him up to this point. Could he really deliver that same cruelty to others? Did he really have to?
It is true, like Gunther himself had said, history is a finicky thing, with events twisting and blurring over time. And a millennia leaves an awful lot of time for that to happen. Then again, it's not like this was his first stop. He had visited libraries, archives, and just about any surviving record available to pinpoint the catalyst that caused the end of a dozen dimensions. Everything pointed to
Noash. Or, more precisely, something Gunther did to him that caused an avalanche of devastating events.But that was where things get trippy. Through all the historical records he had dug up, Noash never existed as more then an afterthought, a footnote on the pages. Like he barely existed. And while it was something he could relate to, it didn't really help his current mission.
Shedding most of his armor, Knight let out long, deep, hard sigh. He had to be making some leeway though, as the timespace degeneration of his body was accelerating. Small pieces of his skin were flaking off, glimmering like crystals for a moment before disappearing entirely. At least it was a painless process, wiping yourself from all of time and space.
"Kaj. I need you for something."
The shadow figure immediately stopped whatever it was doing and hastened to materialize in front of Knight.
"Yeeeeth?" Kaj hissed his approximation of the word yes with a gleeful chuckle.
"I need you to keep an eye on Barley for me. If everything I've read up to this point is indeed correct, we will be heading after the Dark Line very soon. What we are about to do is dangerous, and what I have to do myself is even more so." Knight sighed, beginning to lace his armor back on. "You are a good friend to me, Jack. As close as family, even if you don't know that yourself yet. And no matter what happens, I want you to keep her safe. Do you understand?"
Kaj cocked his head, like a dog trying to understand the commands of his master, before nodding vigorously. Knight gave a sad smile. Jack had always been a bit screwloose, never recovered from the dark experiments that were done to him, but he always came through in the end. "Thanks, Jack. I know you won't let me down."
After about a full hour of sitting up on that hill, Knight made his way back down to the house. Everyone turned to look at him as he and Kaj reentered the humble abode. "Here is the deal." Knight began, figuring he would use the moment that he seemed to have everyone's attention. "I'm going to keep an eye on Gunther. If he begins to go down the path that I have observed to lead to chaos, I will deter him. If I can not stop him, I will have no choice to terminate him."
Everyone just sort of looked at him for a second longer, more then one set of eyes conveying a sense of distrust.
"Now, did I interrupt something, or can we get back to planning how to complete our respective missions?"
Oh, jolly good, old mate! Jolly good! Now I must go about repairing the damage I caused in my part... How to do that is the question.....
ReplyDeleteI'm up. Am I right?
ReplyDelete